General Information

Nipissing University reserves the right to modify published fees and the regulations governing refunds without advance notice. It is the policy of Nipissing University that payments for tuition, ancillary fees and other charges as outlined in the Fee/Payments section of the University’s website be received according to the Fee Payment Options. Default of fees may result in a student’s registration being cancelled. In addition, a student with amounts owing to the University will not be permitted to register in future sessions nor will he or she receive a transcript of record, statement of standing, degree or related evidence of academic progress until such time as his or her account is cleared. The University also reserves the right to withhold recommendations to the Ontario College of Teachers for students with outstanding fees.

Payment of academic fees does not imply a student’s acceptance to the University or approval of their registration. Academic requirements must be satisfied before registration is completed. Once a student has registered, he or she is then responsible for assessed fees.

Student Responsibility

It is the student’s responsibility to:

  1. Notify the Office of the Registrar in writing (or by using WebAdvisor) of any change to his/her registration status: i.e. dropping, adding and/or withdrawing from courses. All charges and outstanding fees accrued to the date of notification will remain due and payable on the student’s account. The partial or total reimbursement of tuition fees depends on the official date of withdrawal as registered on the student’s file, regardless of whether the student actually attended.
  2. Familiarize himself or herself with the financial and academic regulations of the University. (Payment of Fees, Schedule of Academic Fees, Refund Policies, Academic Schedule).
  3. Regularly view the status of his/her account on WebAdvisor (Statement of Account).
  4. Monitor his/her Nipissing University email account for all University correspondence.

Please note: The University reserves the right to change fees and refund policies without notice. For the most up-to-date information please refer to our website at

Payment Methods

Payments can be made through online banking or at any major financial institution (your account number is your seven digit student ID number). For more information, please refer to our website. Payments are also accepted by cash, cheque, debit card, bank draft or money order payable to Nipissing University. Credit card payments are not accepted. For convenience, payments by cheque or money order may be made by using the after-hours drop box located by the exit door at the Finance Office (F216). Students are strongly encouraged to submit their payment through online banking or by mail to avoid line-ups. If payment is submitted by mail, please ensure that your Nipissing University student number is recorded on the front of the cheque. Regardless of the date on the cheque, unless it is received in the Finance Office by the specified due date, the student will incur a late charge.

Students who intend to pay their fees with government loans (OSAP) must have applied for assistance AND submitted all required supporting documentation to the Finance Office no later than August 1st. If an application for assistance is made after this date, funds may not be available in time for the payment of fees by the deadline. Such students may be required to make their first payment from their own resources.

Please note that August 1st is not the final deadline to apply for OSAP funding.

All scholarships administered by Nipissing University are first applied to any outstanding tuition, residence and other student fees. The remainder of the award, if any, is forwarded by cheque to the student.


Students who will be sponsored must submit a sponsorship letter to the Finance Office in order for the appropriate sponsor to be invoiced. A sponsorship letter must be submitted for each session that the student attends. Sponsorship letters may be submitted by email ( or by fax (705.474.5295) to the Finance Office. In order for fees other than tuition (i.e. Residence, Books, etc.) to be charged to the sponsor, the sponsorship letter must specifically mention the fees they intend to pay. The student remains the individual responsible for fees if the sponsor fails to submit payment and/or upon cancellation of the sponsorship.

Outstanding Fees

Students who fail to comply with their payment requirements may be subject to late charges. Non-payment of fees may render a student ineligible for registration in future sessions. In addition, students who are in financial arrears to the university may face deregistration from courses and will not be issued their transcripts of record, statement of standing, degree or related evidence of their academic progress until such time as their account is cleared.  An interest charge of 1.5% will be assessed monthly (19.56% effective annual rate) on student accounts with balances outstanding after the relevant due date for the fees incurred.  The University uses the services of outside collection agencies and reserves the right to use any legal means to reclaim monies owing.

Withdrawal and Refunds

Upon registration, students undertake to pay all fees for the entire term regardless of the arrangements made for deferred payments. Students wishing to withdraw from a course or courses can do so on WebAdvisor, in person at the office of the Registrar or by submitting a letter of withdrawal to the attention of the Office of the Registrar. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for proper withdrawal procedures and academic drop dates.

Students who officially withdraw prior to the session start date will forfeit their deposit. Students withdrawing from courses after the session start date will be charged the full ancillary fees for the course load they were registered in and a percentage of the tuition based on the refund schedule for their program. Students who wish to replace one course with another of equal credit value (within the allowable dates)  must add and drop the courses at the same time to avoid being charged full ancillary fees for the added and dropped course. Refund schedules are posted on the Financial Services website (refer to the Refund/Credit Dates & Deadlines section)

If a credit remains on the account after all fees are paid, a refund cheque will be issued. Refund cheques are processed and mailed to the permanent home address once per term, normally after the last date has passed to drop a course in that term. If a sponsor or external scholarship is used to pay tuition, any refund would be sent to the payee. If the student is an OSAP recipient, the refund is paid to the National Student Loan Sevice Centre to be applied against the student’s outstanding debt.

Returned Cheques

Any student who issues a cheque for payment to Nipissing University and whose cheque is returned to the University for any reason will be subject to a service charge of $45.00.

Account Balances

Account balances can be viewed by all students on WebAdvisor (Statement of Account). Inquiries concerning account balances should be directed to the Finance Office. Information regarding payment amounts and due dates can be found on the “Fees and Payments” section of the Student Financial Services website. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure his or her correct fees are paid and received by the due dates to avoid late payment penalties, regardless of the source of their payments.

Due to privacy laws, the Finance Office staff are not permitted to release any information regarding a student’s account to anyone other than the student. If a parent requires information regarding his or her son or daughter’s account, it is the student’s responsibility to gather the required information. Information regarding payment amounts, due dates and how to pay is available on the website, on the bulletin board across from the Finance Office, or on WebAdvisor. The finance staff can also assist a student in person or by email. Paper statements are not regularly mailed to students. The absence of a paper statement does not relieve a student of their financial obligations to the University.

Receipt for Income Tax

Tuition and Education Credit Certificates (T2202A’s) will be available on WebAdvisor at the end of February. Tax receipts are not prepared for residence payments. If you lived in a residence at a designated Ontario university, you may be eligible for the Ontario energy and property tax credit. To apply for the credit, you must complete form 5006-TG ON-BEN included in your federal T1 – General income tax. An official letter/receipt from the University is not required as the student completes the information requested in the declaration for the property tax credit.

International Student Fees

International students studying in Canada via a student authorization visa are required to pay international student tuition fees. Exceptions to international student fees are allowed for permanent residents who submit the appropriate letter indicating they have been approved for landed immigrant status; diplomatic or consular officers of other countries stationed in Canada, members of foreign military forces admitted to Canada under the Visiting Forces Act and their dependents; and, visitors, or their dependents, who are in Canada on an employment authorization. Other categories may also be exempt subject to the approval of the Office of the Registrar.

Nipissing University
100 College Drive, Box 5002, North Bay, ON, Canada  P1B 8L7  Tel: (705) 474-3450 | Fax: (705) 474-1947

© Nipissing University 2024DisclaimerPrivacyAccessibility